Hello Again (January 24, 2007)

Thank you everyone who sent me emails! It's always fun to get them. I enjoyed Quinn's quite a bit. Especially since I don't actually have to worry about spiders. Yet.
I experienced my first snow today. It wasn't very much, only about an inch, but it makes everything incredibly slippery. Thankfully, I have plenty of warm clothes, so that hasn't been a concern. Last week (or maybe the week before, I can't remember) we had some pretty strong winds. It was actually pretty fun...not very good for street contacting though...
Speaking of street contacting, yesterday I got two contacts within twenty minutes of each other; to put that into context, we're usually lucky to get one a day, and it's usually my companion who gets them. So, I was feeling pretty good about that, right up until it came time to teach our English class (we hold English classes every Tuesday and Thursday as a community service project), where I had to teach the beginner's class, and my companion accidentally told me to do the lesson they had had the week before, thus leaving me with an hour of spare time to fill. Which, as it turns out, is a long, long time when you're trying to teach people english.
And for some reason, there's a ton of crows everywhere! Usually, there's a few every so often, but lately, they've been coming out in droves. And these aren't your run-of-the-mill American crows; these are huge, with large gray beaks. Maybe they're actually ravens, I'm not sure, but they're everywhere! I'll try to get a good picture of them.
Things are going pretty well here. I've heard that other parts of Europe are having some energy problems, but we haven't experienced anything like that. It's actually been really warm here by Ukrainian winter standards; the worst weather we've had was when it was really windy, but even then it wasn't bad (definitely not as bad as it sounded like western Europe had...)
I went on exchanges last week with an elder whose family lived in Spain for about six years (in Seville, I think). It was fun to get to talk to him. I felt just a little out of my league when it came to speaking Spanish though...but that's okay, because there's an elder here from Switzerland who I speak German to, and almost every appliance here is made in Germany, so anything that's written on them is in German and, sometimes, English. Rarely Ukrainian or Russian, which just seems odd to me.
All right, well, I'd better get going. I love you all, and I'll write you again next week!
Love,
--Elder Brett Hurst

No comments: