Well, I'm a father (Sept 12, 2007)

Hello again everyone! Well, I'm officially a trainer now--my son's name is Elder Higgins. It's been a little difficult (especially since on Sunday I got sicker than I've been so far my entire mission), but it's really cool to see how well I can understand people when I don't have a senior companion crutch to lean on. The other day I had a conversation with a man about Jerusalem, the crusades, World War ii, and Ukrainian history, all in Ukrainian on my part and Russian on his, without ever really missing a beat. It's amazing to me to think that I can actually speak with people about most anything I want (at least in a round-a-bout way) in a language I didn't know existed a little more than a year ago, and then understand them when they answer in an entirely different language back! I've been working on my Russian a bit lately also, but there's still a ways to go with that.

So here's something strange--I have less than a month until my year mark...time passes really quickly. It still feels like I just started the transfer before this last one...thankfully I've got Elder Higgins here, because the first transfer always feels like it takes forever.

Well, we have another meeting with Volodymyr tonight, which we're excited for. We haven't been able to meet for a while because his dad just passed away, but he said he wants to meet tonight. We're looking forward to it; the only problem is, we'll probably have to push his date back a week or two because we haven't been able to meet more often. But, he's still right on track towards baptism, so everything should be fine!

I love you all, and wish me luck this week!
--Elder Brett

No comments: