Pictures First

All right, here's my pictures for the week first of all:

922 - The large gray tower you see there is our apartment building. We call it the Dark Tower. (Then again, we also get to read Lord of the Rings on P-Days).

926 - We did some service last Saturday at an investigator family's dacha, which is like a cottage or summerhome...sort of. They have an apartment in the city, but just outside the city they have a little house in a village. Anyways, we dug a deep hole. When we were finished, it was up to my armpits.

950 - Ukrainians in the summertime like a drink called Kvas ("KBAC" as written in Ukrainian). They buy it from large yellow tanks like this on the street. It costs 70 kopek a glass; that's 14 cents.

953 - I wanted to try some Kvas, seeing as to how I'm here in Ukraine. This is my first taste.

954 - This is my reaction. As it turns out, the way you make Kvas is to put bread in a bunch of mineral water and let it "ferment" (we may know the process better as "mold"). So, in short, Kvas is moldy bread water. And it tastes just like it.

957 - My second, much more cautious taste.

Basically, Kvas to Ukrainians is like Root Beer to Americans; they love it, foreigners can't stand it.

--Elder Hurst

No comments: