A week full of mission stories... (Oct 3, 2007)

Hello again everyone! Well, this past week has certainly been an interesting one, to say the least. We've run into a great deal of interesting random incidents these past few days. My time's running a little low (as usual), so let's get started:

1. On Sunday, Elder Higgins and I were expecting a few people to come to sacrament meeting, so we went outside the church and waited on the street for them to show up. Unfortunately, none of them did, but there was a crazy drunk man who came up and, after unsuccessfully asking us for money, decided to sing us a little song made up of the lyrics (in Ukrainian) "I've got a guitar in my hands!" and the noise of him banging on a "guitar." He then informed us that it was a Beatles song.

2. I had to get my pants sewn up (my Mervyns ones), because they had, to say the least, fallen into a little disrepair. We searched around for a while to find a pants repair shop and decided to ask a lady selling beach towels. She smiled as we walked up, and I remembered that about a month ago my previous comp and I talked to her for a while, and she said she'd come to church because "there's two handsome young americans there!" She's about 50, by the way. So, realizing it's too late to pull away, I ask her if she knows of a place to repair pants. "You want to buy pants?" she asked. No, I said, I want to repair them ("repair" and "buy" sounding entirely different in Ukrainian). "Oh. You want to sell them?" No, I said again, REPAIR them. "Oh. Sell them?" NO, I want to REPAIR them. "Oh," she said. "Repair them? I do that." So, I dropped off my pants and went my way, and we came back a couple of days later. She'd repaired them quite well actually (although, interestingly, she decided to use dark blue thread on my dark brown pants...) and, oddly enough for Ukraine, wanted to give them to me free of charge. I talked her into taking 5 gryven for it. Turned out a lot better than I had thought it would.

3. Okay, this is a story I'm very proud of. I only wish I had an internet club where I could attach pictures! So, Elder Higgins and I, like we often do, were out tracting one night. The particular building we were in was really tall, had very small pidyizd's (those are the stairwells, in case you don't know), and absolutely no lights. Outside, the cloudy sky was turning to a dark twilight. We'd just finished talking to a pretty cool young man who later went on to dog us (so to speak...read on) and we were taking a few notes in our tracting notebook (where we record who actually answered their doors and who didn't, who was interested, etc.) when we heard an odd noise coming from below us. At first I dismissed it, but it got steadily louder and louder, and stranger and stranger. Soon, Elder Higgins and I were giving each other worried looks and trying to look down the staircase at what was approaching. The noise was like a dog growling and yelping, but mingled with a really heavy human-like panting and really, really heavy footsteps up the staircase. Adrenalin pumping, Higgins and I each tried to see what on earth was causing this demonic noise, but it was too dark and the thing was too far to the side for us to get a clear view. Suddenly, we heard keys being pulled out, a door being opened roughly, and then slammed shut the floor beneath where we were standing. We stood for a moment, terrified, then laughed and kept tracting, conveniently forgetting to knock on that particular door. In our tracting notebook, we made a helpful little note underneath that number stating, "POSSIBLE WEREWOLF," and ever since then if something seems odd or if something goes wrong, we blame it on the werewolf.

4. Later that same night, as we were walking home, we saw through a grove of trees what looked like a large circle of candles in a field with a bunch of littler groups of candles inside. What a strange night!

5. Our water filter had to be replaced a day or two ago, and Elder Higgins for some reason wanted to do it. Unfortunately, he forgot to put a rubber washer in place after he finished, and it ended up flooding the kitchen a little. We didn't quite make it in bed by 10:30 that night.

All right, well, that's all the time I have today. I love you all, and have a good week!

--Elder Hurst
PS - Watch out for werewolves, they're everywhere

No comments: