Transfer info and the worst metro ride of my life (11/28/2007)

Hello again everyone, it is I, Elder Hurst, once again. Well, it's transfer season again, but as usual lately, I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to be staying in Sviatoshinsky for another transfer; Elder Higgins is going to be leaving, however, so I'll be getting a new companion here shortly. It's kind of fun staying in an area for so long; I feel like I know this area like the back of my hand, and I know the ward far better than any other ward I've been in. In fact, if anyone comes to visit Ukraine with me after I finish my mission, this is probably the sacrament meeting we'd go to. Also, we somehow lucked out and have gotten to live in a usually-reserved-for-senior-couples apartment, which means it's one of the nicest apartments in the mission. And this will be my fourth transfer in it.

We had Thanksgiving this past week, and it was a lot of fun. Our mission president's wife, a senior sister, and a senior couple all made dinner, which was really good; real turkey, mashed potatoes, and sweet potatoes, with corn and stuffing and something with green beans that tasted good. (I haven't had lunch yet today, so this is making me pretty hungry). Every district then did a skit, which included one district bringing in a live chicken and another district acting out the Church film "The Touch of the Master's Hand," only instead of being a violin it was an apple, and it was about the importance of washing fruit in bleach here. Then, we got to watch Fiddler on the Roof, and you have to understand, our mission rules here are that we can only watch movies produced by the church, so when we got to see this, it felt like the greatest movie experience of our lives.

Anyway, on a somewhat more disturbing note, I had a 37-year-old woman flirt with me on a metro. She had me cornered, and since this was Ukraine, there were so many people packed on around us that escape was impossible. She offered me candy and wanted to trade ties with me (why she was wearing a tie I'm not too sure). I refused, but she then decided showed me pictures of her kids, which include a daughter who is my same age. Creepy. Apparently, she lives in a different city (Zhytomer); she asked if I was ever going to visit there. I said, "Da ni," which is a handy little Ukrainian phrase that means, "Nope!" (In Russian it's "Da nyet," by the way). I was pretty glad to get off of that particular metro.

Well, that's all the news from me. Say hi to Hazel for me, and tell her that I'm the coolest uncle she'll never meet for another year. Oh, before I forget, no one ever told me where Steve got his call to! I got the song email a few months back, and then all of a sudden he's mysteriously going into the MTC!

--Brett

PS - I can't remember if I said this last week or not, but thanks for the package Mom!

No comments: