New comp, drunk grandmas and zone conference (Dec 5, 2007)

Hello again everyone! Things are going really well over here, unless you count the weather, which is either cold and snowing, cold and raining, or just cold. But, other than that, things really are going well.

Transfers came and went, and I have a new companion, Elder Taylor. He's a lot quieter than Elder Higgins was, but from what I hear members in all the places he's served love him, which is good; we've worked really hard on gaining the trust of the members in this area.

So we had an interesting meeting on Saturday. One of our investigators, a lady named Lilya, decided after our lesson that she wanted to give us some herbal tea (Ukrainians love tea) and cookies. Her mom was also there; and you'll need to understand, her mom is an older woman who's pretty much drunk all the time. So, Lilya comes out and sets down her cookies, which are all nicely arranged on a platter, when her mom comes out with this beat-up pot full of something, pulls one of the things out, holds it out to me, and says, "Eat!" Lilya immediately begins slapping her hand and saying, "Go away! Don't give them that!" but then the water for the tea finished boiling and she had to leave the room, leaving Elder Taylor and I with this drunken babushka and her mysterious bowl of food, which she still held out to me (for some reason, only me) and said, "Eat. It's good. It's healthy. Eat!" Our bishop was with us on the lesson, so I turned to him and asked, as casually as I could, "So, Bishop...do you like this?" He shrugged and said, "It's not bad." I slowly turned back, took the thing from the babushka, and took a bite. It wasn't too bad; basically, it was like a crepe with sweetened condensed milk spread on it, except it was really cold, and I'm not sure how fresh it was. The babushka smiled and said, "It's good, isn't it?" I agreed, and then when Lilya came back, her mom said, "You see Lilya? He said he loves it!" Thankfully, after the one, I didn't have to eat any others. However, as we drank our tea, Lilya's mom again left the room, and when she came back she was holding a thick, short wooden rod. Our bishop asked what it was, and she told us that it was what she used to keep children in line. Lilya then jumped in and told us that she usually hides it from her mom so she can't use it. All in all, an interesting experience.

Well, it's that time again, unfortunately. I love you all, and I'll write again next week!

--Brett

PS - That's really cool about Steven! Montreal, eh?

PPS - Thanks for the package Dad! I was able to pick it up yesterday.

No comments: