Big news (again), and more pictures! (Feb 6 2008)

Hello again everyone! As you can see, I remembered to bring my camera cord with me this week, so I've attached a few pictures from the past two weeks. We did some service at an orphanage a little ways away where we had a little presentation, gave away books for the kids to read (the children's scriptures picture books that the Church produces), and just talked with the kids. It was a lot of fun, but kind of depressing; Ukrainian orphanages, believe it or not, aren't the most upbeat-looking places. I was amazed to see how many of the kids just walked around with blood smeared on their faces around their noses! It's really sad. I don't know if they're sick, if they get in fights, or what, but it's a tragedy in any case. It was really sad, because everyone wanted to shake the Americans' hands afterward, but we had been warned quite well not to do that; instead we did the goofy "pound it" thing where you punch your fists together.

So, I heard some interesting news recently. It's about 90% certain that this coming transfer (this is week 4, so there's still two weeks or so) I will be training again. Also, if the information I've received is reliable, his name is Elder Horne, which means that in every training-related situation I've been in, all missionaries involved have had last names starting with "H." I, Elder Hurst, was trained by Elder Hanson, and then I trained Elder Higgins and now, possibly, Elder Horne. I sense a trend.

I think I'm also going to be district leader again next transfer, which is a little frightening because President Davis is planning on visiting Ivano next transfer for hardcore visits with all of the less active members, and rumor has it he'll be doing this while on exchanges with the district leader. Yikes. Talk about being on your BEST behavior.

Well, that's my week. I hope you all had a good one as well! And in case anyone's thinking of what to do for a certain day in early March, I need some time to think, but I know for certain that I wouldn't mind getting a book called something along the lines of "Temples and the Cosmos" by Hugh Nibley. Also, I don't know how hard or easy this is to find, but I wouldn't mind reading "The House of the Lord" by James E. Talmage. Anyway, I'll write back next week with more practical things. Thanks!

I love you all, and have a great week!
--Elder Hurst











No comments: