Another week, another email

Hello everyone! I hope you all had a good week. I'm sorrow to hear that school's starting again...its kind of strange, actually, that that's happening again, it honestly seems like I just barely read the emails from last year saying that school's starting up again. Actually, to be entirely honest, it still feels like last October, for some reason. I think that's the point when time really sped up for me. It's going by lightning quick now, what with August being more than half over. I only have 1 more zone conference before the end...WEIRD.

So, this transfer we've decided that we're really going to focus on finding and baptizing a family, and something cool happened this week in this regard. Actually, the story starts about 3 weeks ago. We were running late and we had to get to the church, so we took a taxi from where we were (taxis are very cheap in Chernivtsi--about 10 gryven, or 2 dollars, on average). Our driver was a guy named Yuriy who had actually met with missionaries about 4 years ago. He'd been interested, but didn't really want to go anywhere with his teaching, and so he stopped meeting with them. We talked with him, and he was still not too interested, although he was very friendly and actually gave us his phone number. I called to set up with him, but he was busy and not too interested, and then I actually lost his number and couldn't call him back. At the time I didn't think too much of it--we get a lot of numbers of people who aren't actually all that interested, so I didn't feel bad losing it. So, earlier this week we had to take a taxi again, and it just happened to be his. We got to talking and he mentioned that he was married, and that that same week his wife had just given birth to a baby boy! After his son was born, Yuriy really started thinking about religion again and actually began rereading all of the information he had gotten years ago. When we reached our apartment, he turned off the car and asked if we could just talk for a while. After about 15 minutes of talking, he said he really wanted us to go over to meet his family and have a lesson with them. We set up with him for next Sunday evening!

Things overall are going really well here. This Saturday and Sunday morning we may get to go to a little town called Uzhhorod, down on the other side of the Carpathians by Hungary. I've been wanting to go there since my 1st transfer in country. I am SO excited.

Well, I think that's all the news for today. I love you all! Good luck at school!

--Elder Hurst

No comments: