Time flies

Hello again everyone! Happy birthday Renee! Happy birthday Mom! 50 might sound like a lot, but as they say here in Ukraine, "Shche ne vechir!" ("Still not evening!", as in, "You're not dead yet!").

Speaking of time flying, today marks my being in Ukraine for 6 months. I've already been in-country for half a year. That also means that I have about four months until I reach the halfway mark of my entire mission (!). It really boggles my mind about how fast time moves! This is my black hole year (the time on my mission when I have an entire year to pass through instead of just a part of one), and it's half over in a week or two. It's going too fast!

And it doesn't help that Carter, Alli, Mary, and Jensen are growing by leaps and bounds every time I get pictures of them!

All right, enough about that. So, the inside door handle on our apartment front door, being the best in Soviet manufacturing, broke off a few days ago. Tired of having to use the pliars on my leatherman to open the door, we gave our landlady, Lidiya, a call. She comes and takes apart our remaining handle and then leaves and buys a new one. When she comes back, she finds out that the new one doesn't actually fit, and it won't work. She tried to put the old one back on, only to remember that when she bought the new handle, the place kept a large portion of the old handle; so, in order to put the old one back on she used the caps to a Pepsi bottle and a Fanta bottle. While cutting holes in these, she cut her thumb. Then, she went to check our water meter readings, only to end up breaking a piece of loose tile. And then she left. Lesson to be learned: No matter how bad things seem, things could always be worse. Especially if you live in a Ukrainian apartment.

But, as a matter of good news, we finally have a progressing investigator again! It's been about two transfers since I've had one. Her name is Valentina Ponomarenko, and we hope to get her husband, Sasha, and her daughter, Alyana, interested too. Things are definitely looking up!

Well, I need to run, as usual. I love you all, and I'll write again next week!

--Elder Brett

No comments: